16.3 of the 2016 CrossFit Open has been announced! After a gruelling first two workouts, the third workout of the 2016 CrossFit Open is a 7 minute A.M.R.A.P (As many rounds/reps as possible) of 10 Power Snatches and 3 Bar Muscle Ups. As always before you start make sure to check the movement standards which you can find at the bottom of the page. If you missed Jamie Headon’s tips on how to take on 16.2 and what he found tough, check out our blog here.
Jamie Headon 16.3 CrossFit Open Tips and Strategies
With this workout there is only two movements to worry about but multiple ways of approaching it. What I found blew up first was my forearms and my shoulders. To avoid blowing them out too quickly, here are a few tips and strategies on how to best perform these exercises and the workout itself;
- Go for a Muscle Snatch instead of a Power Snatch to save yourself some time. Check the video below to see an example of me doing this.
- Try go unbroken if you can! If you can’t break it up into two 5’s
- Again as with the first two workouts, think about your BREATHING.
“It goes without saying, you want to go hook grip the whole way through this”
Bar Muscle Ups
- Lets get a big (controlled) Kip so you are not burning out your arms so much.
- Once you have pressed out, make sure to work a slow negative to ensure that you fall into a good kip and maintain control. You will also see how I’m doing this in the video below
Check out the video below to see Jamie in action during 16.3 and his description of how to do your best.
You can find a full list of all all the different versions including scaled versions of 16.3 of the CrossFit Open here. Also don’t forget that if your taking part in the 2016 CrossFit Open you can’t miss Jamie’s blog on tips you can apply to the whole Open. Check out Jamie’s 5 key tips on doing your best in the Open.