Jamie Headon 16.4 CrossFit Open Tips and Strategies
16.4 of the CrossFit Open 2016 has been announced! We are now four workouts in and into the later stages of the Open. The fourth workout of the 2016 CrossFit Open is a 13 minute A.M.R.A.P (As many rounds/reps as possible) of 55 Deadlifts, 55 Wall-Ball Shots, 55 Calorie Row and 55 Handstand Push-Ups (HSPU). Despite the workout being another A.M.R.A.P, 16.4 is a different beast and certainly requires a strategy. As always before you start make sure to check the movement standards which you can find at the bottom of the page. If you missed Jamie Headon’s tips on how to take on 16.3 and what he found tough, check out our blog here.
This a workout you that you only want to do once, it’s very taxing so you’ll want to get it right. The key here is to keep your focus and push yourself as hard as you can
- Break them early. Try to stay at the bar, don’t be tempted step away
- Try to breathe through your stomach, don’t take big breaths.
- Do some box breathing or floor breathing in your warm-up
After the deadlift your legs are going to feel tired and your black will be blown up so the main tips here are:
- Stretch out your wrists before starting – roll them a little bit
- Get straight into – Don’t loose time putting the ball down keep it up.
- Work hard from the start – get over the 900-1,000 mark
- Aim to hold that pace the whole way through
Hand Stand Push-ups
By this stage you will be certainly feeling the burn but there’s a couple of things you can do to make the hand stand push-ups a bit easier on yourself:
- Get your measurements right. Put down tape on the mat/floor – use it as a guideline to ensure you don’t put hands too wide
- Every time you push up, focus on pointing your toes down to the floor and heels up.
- Use shoe tape on your heels – this will reduce friction and make your feet slide along the wall nicely
If you want to find out more tips about hand stand pus-ups check out the video below for detailed instructions:
Check out the video below to see Jamie covering 16.4 and his description of how to do your best.
You can find a full list of all all the different versions including scaled versions of 16.3 of the CrossFit Open here. Also don’t forget that if your taking part in the 2016 CrossFit Open you can’t miss Jamie’s blog on tips you can apply to the whole Open. Check out Jamie’s 5 key tips on doing your best in the Open. Best of luck!